Pages

Monday, October 27, 2008

What Do You Buy?

Today will be another day for some of my random rambling. I seem to do a lot of that these days. The weather outside today is wonderful, and definitely FALL! I have been in sweats and a long sleeved Tee all day. The wind is blowing lots of leaves around, and you can't even tell that I did that yard work last week.

My son was home this weekend to keep me company and we attended a wedding on Sunday. It was a 2 hour drive away which I had been dreading, but ended up being a great time to talk and visit. The wedding was a beautiful outdoor wedding and the weather was perfect. They chose mostly contemporary christian music and a young man sang solo unaccompanied and did a great job. Very worshipful.

Today has however been a lonesome day with just me and the two dogs, so I have been slow about getting it together. I have Bible study tonight, which I am so looking forward to! I feel the need to be continually hearing from God these days.

On a more fun note I thought I would show you some of my thrifty finds the past several weeks. Got this little guy from a yard sale,
and even though it is not yet November he is sitting on top of the pie safe in my kitchen.

10 of these never used napkins from the thrift store for 1.59
Great fall colors!
Now this is in keeping with my question title "What Do You Buy?"
I told the lady at the thrift store, "I buy nostalgia". Which is mostly true. I buy a lot of things that remind me of my grandparents, and simpler days. This little bowl is one of them . It is old, chipped and cracked, but reminded me of my something my grandmother would have had.

This little old scale reminds me of the scale my granddaddy would weigh his vegetables with. See he was what I called a truck farmer. He grew vegetables and had a route that he traveled to sell them. This is how he made a living. He had an old pick-up truck with a homemade cover. One day he would pick the vegetables, and the next he would travel his route to sell them. That was a time when he sold to all of the local grocery stores too. This is not exactly like his scale, but it still reminds me of him. So my question to you what do you buy? Mine is mostly a hodge podge of memories. Have a blessed week! Jackie

14 comments:

Stacey said...

Hi Jackie. Sometimes I have those kind of lonely days too. It helps me to turn on a little music and do something productive. I have started keeping an on-going list...that way if I find myself lost for a few minutes I know where to find something that needs to be done. I have Bible study on Monday mornings. It takes me a good bit of time to prepare but I sure am enjoying it. :)

Kim said...

Hi Jackie!! I love your memories, both the ones you made this weekend with your son and of your Granddaddy!

And, I LOVE your "finds" ~~ so cute.

Praying today you will feel hugged from your Daddy in Heaven. That you have time to cuddle up on this cold day in his lap with His Word... feeling warmed in His love.

Hugs,
Kim

April said...

Jackie,

Please know that you're not alone with the lonesome feeling you've had. We've all experienced that at one point or another. I think it has a lot to do with being a woman. I'm at a point in my life now where I'm trying to prepare for my oldest daughter to go away to college next year. Though I'm very excited for her, I, also, realize that, in a way, things will never be the same, again. It floods over me a lot these days, so I do my best not to dwell too much on it and I find a way to divert my thinking through exercising, praying, blogging, spending time with family/friends, etc.

I love your fabulous finds, by the way! I really MUST check out the local thrift store!

Blessings to you, too!

CMB said...

I love all your fabulous finds. My nest will be a little emptier next year and I am already dreading it...just too quiet!

Lorrie said...

I really like this post. I would have to say that I buy nostalgia too. I love things that evoke memories of happy times and people that I love.

So glad you had time with your son. Those times are even sweeter when they are unexpected.

Neabear said...

You have some neat things there. I like that turkey. I am glad you had some time with your son. I am so looking forward to spending time with my daughter next week. Can't wait!

Marie said...

What great finds. :o) I love that bowl! What do I buy? Hmm...I buy nostalgia too, I think. However, I'm trying VERY hard to not buy anything at all these days. lol

Shannon said...

Great finds!! I think I buy for memories too. I also buy things that I just think are interesting. :)

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Doesn't it bring a smile to your face when you find that hidden treasure in the most unexpected place?! Especially the ones that bring back fond memories.Priceless....

Sweet Wishes,
Sara

Alyce said...

I like your scales! I have a thrifting post on my blog...with scales like that..take a look sometime! I love em!

Dawn Gahan said...

Jackie, great finds! I've been tempted many times to buy one of those old scales. I have a friend who collects them and has one on her kitchen counter with a plant on top. I think I'll keep my eyes open for one.

Dawn

Gretchen said...

Mmm... I'm so wanting that scale. I've been looking for one, forever!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

That's a great looking turkey...and what perfect timing!

Kim Hancock said...

I buy memories...thing that remind me of a simpler time. I bought a Juice-O-Mat the other day. They had a nut grinder too, but wanted way too much for it. I have such fond memories of baking during the holidays. One of my favorite jobs was grinding the walnuts & pecans for all the baking we would be doing!