Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Need an Easy Christmas Present?

UPDATE!!
The acrylic sealer is a necessary step. I used clear acrylic sealer Matte found in the craft section at Wal-Mart and I am sure they have it at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. The stamp will wash right off the tile if the sealer is not used.
Yes, the project I am posting today would make a easy but wonderful Christmas present. If you are like me, I am looking for some ways to save on Christmas spending this year. After all, it is not all about the presents it is about HIM...........Christ our Lord and Saviour! Now this is not original to me. I first saw it here. This girl has many wonderful ideas! First you need this.

Then some of this.


One of these.


To make some of these!

Maybe you are asking what are they. They are tile coasters. The only thing I have left to do is add some cork or felt to the back to prevent scratching tables. You could use any design, I just like the bird nest, and I have an additional idea that may make an addition to this for a cute present. I think, I will be doing these for some Christmas presents.
I will try to break down the cost for you here:
Tiles were .32 ea. at Lowes
Stamp originally 8.99 Hobby Lobby. I got on sale for 4.50
Staz On Ink Pad (you must use this kind) originally 7.99 Hobby Lobby. Half price 4.00
Backing which I still need to purchase I think that will be picked up at Hobby Lobby too.
Your original investment may seem like a lot, but do you know how many of these you can make? Bunches and bunches, not to mention that the stamps would be great for note cards, gift tags, etc. Someone else suggested that they sprayed theirs with acrylic sealer, but I don't think this is necessary with the StazOn. Hopefully I will get the second half of this gift worked out and post it later. Have a wonderful, blessed Fall day! Jackie

22 comments:

Stacey said...

A bird nest on anything is beautiful, don'tcha think?

duchess said...

Great gift idea.
Thanks for all the details.

Tiffany said...

These are really great. I need to get supplies and try this myself. I'm tired of looking at our ugly golf coasters from DH's bachelor days. :)

the undomesticated wife said...

Cute!!

I saw these in a stamping magazine several years ago and haven't gotten around to making some. I probably should since they are so easy and cute!

I like your bird's nest stamp. Very sweet.

April said...

I love it! Keep those amazing ideas rolling!! You have a way of making believe I can actually do it, too! :)

Betsy said...

I will be doing this. I think I will make some monograms.

jenni d said...

Okay, I have wanted to make these forever but have never tried. I would also love to make these for wedding presents with the new couples last initial with a stamped frame around it. Jen

Shannon said...

Ok, those are so cute!! I use coaster very similar to these that I bought. Yours are great!

Rae said...

I love that stamp! I personally need a set of those! I could make some for me and for gifts too!

Linda said...

Thank you so much for the gift idea and especially for the detailed breakdown.

We don't have Hobby Lobbys in CA but I'm going to Phoenix on Friday and they have a new one in the area. I'll take a look at their stamps and give this gift a try. Thanks again!

Alyce said...

I bought the stuff to make these a couple weeks ago. I didn't see a Staz on stamp pad though..I picked up ColorBox. I hope it works! I live too far from Michaels! I just can't stand how expensive stamps are!

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

I enjoy creating my gifts too. This idea is so versatile. I'll be hunting for tiles at Lowe's. I hope I can find them at the price you did. I've also heard the tiles need to be sealed so the ink won't run when they get wet. It'd help in the cost if that step wasn't necessary. Thanks for sharing!
Sweet Day!
Sara

Alyce said...

Jackie..I didn't realize it was a sealer! Thanks for letting me know. I wonder if I can find it at Michaels..where are you located?

Ginny said...

This is a great idea! I may have to try it!!

Scrapper Mom said...

This is such a neat idea. I love coasters. Thanks for sharing. They do make great gifts.

Liz Harrell said...

Ok. You know I'm not crafty, but I'm really seriously thinking about trying this! You know, you could do bigger tiles and use them as trivets (spelling?).

Dawn Gahan said...

Jackie,

These are really wonderful gifts to make! How do you get the stamp on so evenly with such great ink coverage? Do you press it on quickly or hold it in place for awhile?

Dawn

Anonymous said...

I have that same stamp but I didn't know the part about the sealer (that obviously is an important step). Thank you for the details.

Gretchen

Smelling Coffee said...

Another wonderful idea! I'm now hoping I can find the time to make use of them!!! :-)

Gretchen said...

I love these! A friend gave me a set last year for my birthday and they are beautiful!

Runner Mom said...

Thank you! You have just broadened my horizons! I was JUST at Hobby Lobby an hour ago! Shoot! Wish I had read your post earlier! I subbed the past two days, and playing on the computer time just didn't happen!! Thanks for your wonderful comments at my blog!! enjoy this gorgeous weekend.

Hugs,
Susan

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Can't wait to try this! What a nice gift these would make!