Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Gift of Kindness




Today while eating alone, I was struck by the kindness and thoughtfulness of a young boy about 12 years old. While eating with his parents, he turned around and asked me if I was eating alone. When I replied that I was, he simply said, "would you like to join us?" I was almost done, and they had just arrived. I asked him his name, and thanked him for his kindness, and told him that I was finishing up.  We were not of the same racial background, yet, it made no difference to him .In a simple gesture of kindness, he reached out to me. It lifted my spirits, and I felt God reminding me that I am never alone. In response I wanted Justin to know what a special gift he had given.Upon leaving, I asked for the ticket, paid for his family, and had the ticket sent back to the table thanking Justin. I am sure the Holy Spirit was prompting me to do this, come to think of it, I don't think I have ever done anything like this. I left there feeling like I had received a wonderful gift, and in fact I had. The kindness of a stranger. Reach out to someone today, and have a wonderful weekend!
Jackie

11 comments:

Dawn Gahan said...

Jackie, what a blessing . . . this circumstance, this young man, and you.

Love,
Dawn

Diva Kreszl said...

such a wonderful heartfelt story about the kindness of a young boy and the Holy Spirit working through you. Sories like these just fill my heart with joy and I imagine God smiling down on you :)

Stacey said...

What an awesome thing for both you and Justin to do. You are right...God was there. :)

Linda said...

This was so beautiful it almost made me cry! I'd say Justin's parents have done a wonderful job raising him wouldn't you say!

And how nice of you to pay their bill!

Ginny said...

What amazing gestures, by both of you.

Neabear said...

All I can say is "Wow". Plus it gave me the goose bumps too. What a wonderful gesture!

Miss Debbie said...

Reminds me of the movie "Pay It Forward". I wonder if your act of thankfulness prompted the cashier or the waiter to be kind to someone. Wouldn't that be interesting to know? But, regardless, you were blessed twice...in the receiving and in the giving. Thank you for blessing my day!

Unknown said...

What a generous soul that this young man has.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

What a great experience you had! God is so good! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica Morris said...

:) I love this story!
What a great boy and I hope that your action encouraged him to continue looking out for others :)
That was really sweet of you!

Christina said...

Such a heartwarming story. I will share this with my children. It is always such a blessing to see children (and adults of course) being kind and considerate.

How lovely that you acknowledged his kindness in they way you did.