Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Think Pink!


October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I encourage each of you ladies to have regular mammograms. My story is that I did not have those regular mammograms, and before I knew it 10 years had passed, without much thought. When it came time for my regular check up, I knew my Dr would be asking me about it again.  She was able to get me in the same day of my annual check-up since I  to travel an hour and a half  to Savannah. Well instead of getting word that everything looked fine, I had to return for a magnification which was not conclusive, and I ended up having to have biopsies in both breasts. If you think mammograms are unpleasant, I assure you it is nothing compared to having a biopsy. Everything did come back clear, but it was unsettling waiting on the news, and if I'd had those regular mammograms, I most likely would not have  needed the biopsies. I've had to have a couple in a year even after that to keep a watch on some calcifications but I have gladly complied. It is time for my annual exams, so I will be going in early November once again. Don't skip those regular exams like I did!  Jackie

2 comments:

Scrapper Mom said...

Hi Jackie. It's bee 5 years since I have even been to see my obgyn and longer than that on the mammo. I need to take better care of myself.. Thanks for this post. I haven't been over in awhile. Glad to see your face to put with your name.

Nichole said...

I just sent a link to this post to my mom. She'll be 50 in January and has yet to have a mammogram.