Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

DIY a Diaper Cake

It's DIY day again over at ASPTL! If you haven't checked out all of the great project inspiration, don't miss another week. Last week someone brought an abundance of size 1 baby diapers to our church nursery. We don't often get many babies in that size so our Nursery Coordinator wanted to know if I knew anyone that could use the diapers. I remembered an upcoming baby shower, and took the opportunity to practice a little creativity . My daughter and I had made a diaper cake a few months ago when I was visiting and I was looking forward to the opportunity to try one out for myself.


This started out as a metal Currier and Ives cookie platter. With a little brown spray paint, it became the diaper cake plate.

Next I rolled and rubber banded about 60 of these.



Next I made a cute of these fabric flowers for cake decor.

Instead of ribbon I cut fabric strips with pinking shears out of the brown and pink polka dot fabric. The strips cover the rubber bands that are holding the cake layers together.

I needed a little dowel to attach my baby doll on top, but a pencil covered in brown ribbon worked just fine.

Here I have attached the fabric strips around the two layers, and added the fabric flowers.

And here is the finished cake! There are so many things you could add to this and so many variations. I was trying to stick with the pink and brown, and the little doll on top was the perfect addition. What fun have you had being creative this week?

Head on over to Kimba's and check it all out.

Jackie

16 comments:

Caroline said...

I love diaper cakes...last year I made a towel cake for my friends bridal shower that I hosted and everyone thought it was a real cake!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Very cute and easier than I imagined. I featured this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button

Patsy said...

This is so cute!! What a great idea!! My daughter is having a baby shower soon and I might have to try this!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Reid said...

Thanks for stopping by! Love the diaper cake. Never had the courage to make one myself. Yours is great!

Katie said...

OH thank you thank you thank you. I am going to a baby shower this weekend and have a pack of diapers my daughter never used. Genius! I am so doing this. You rock!

I don't know if you have a son but my verification word is hipson so I think you must. ;) That or its an herb. LOL

Christina said...

Oh Jackie, that is adorable. Love the whole thing, especially the rosettes. Love the pink and brown too.

What a great idea and I'm sure the mommy will love it.

Jennifer said...

I just know any new mommy would LOVE this!! You are so creative:)

sherri said...

I have made many diaper cakes in the past but never one the way you did it. It's fun to learn new ways to make one. What do you use to make the center of the flowers? They sure are cute!

Kitty Scraps said...

What an adorable diaper cake! I love the pink and brown color combo. I think it would be easy to spend a fortune on supplies making one of these so I especially love how you used fabric strips instead of ribbon, a cookie platter spray painted, a pencil wrapped, all very creative use what you have touches that look and worked perfectly! And that doll on top? SWEET! Great job!

trish said...

Oh how cute!!

Runner Mom said...

This is one of the cutest ones I have ever seen! Love it!! You are one talented lady!!

Hugs!
Susan

Unknown said...

That is just precious. Your little cake topper is adorable.

Tamara Jansen said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I absolutely must make one of these for my daughter's baby shower!

Jessica said...

That is one beautiful cake! You did an awesome job!

ediapercakes said...

Your diaper cake is lovely. I love how the rolled diaper cake looks but they tend to take a lot longer when you make them.